Student Application Process

Degree and Intensive English

Degree-Seeking Students

Internationals apply for degree programs at:

Intensive English

To study full-time intensive English apply to the Center for English Language and American Culture (CELAC).

Exchange Students

What is an Exchange Student?

You are an "exchange" or a "guest" student if you come to UNM from one of our partner universities through your home university's international office. If you are coming at this time to get your degree at UNM, you are not an exchange student. Degree-seeking students need to apply to UNM through the UNM International Admissions Office.

Application Procedure

Applications and all supporting document must be submitted on the following dates. PLEASE SEND THE APPLICATION DOCUMENTS ONLY AFTER THE APPLICATION PERIOD IS STARTED! :

  • Fall Semester (Duration: August-December): March 1 - 31

  • Spring Semester (Duration: January-May): September 1 - 30


STEP ONE: Nomination from your home institution

The exchange advisor at your home university must nominate you to attend UNM before you submit an application. Please contact an exchange advisor/international office at your home university for details of how to obtain a nomination.


STEP TWO: Required Application documents (no handwritten documents)

The following documents will be required as part of our online application form. Please gather the documents prior to starting your application

NOTE: If you have a document that is not originally in English, and you need to submit it as the application document, anyone (not applicant) who is fluent both in English and that language can translate the documents. Please provide the original translation along with the typed name, date of translation, address, and the signature of translator and a sentence to prove that the document is correct and accurately translated.

  1. Copy of the Biographical Page of Your Passport: Your passport must be valid at least 6 months beyond the last day you plan to be in the country. If your passport expires before that date, it must be renewed BEFORE application.

  2. Academic records: Originals or certified copies of official documents plus English translation. Your official transcript must demonstrate strong academic preparation, generally indicated by a U.S. equivalent grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale and at least two semesters of full-time study completed at the time of application. If you plan to enroll in graduate-level courses at UNM, you must submit either a copy of your Bachelor's Degree certificate or a letter from your exchange advisor stating that you qualify for graduate-level study.

  3. Proof of financial capability: All applicants for the exchange program are required to submit documentation verifying adequate funding to meet study and living expenses while in the United States. The amount of money* you will be required to demonstrate is:

    - For either fall or spring semester: $6,625
    - For one academic year (August to May): $13,250
    - For one calendar year (January to December): $15,750
    - For summer session: $4,150

*Any amounts denominated in a foreign currency will be evaluated at the prevailing market rate on the date the application is received.
*If you are a Guest (fee-paying) student, you will be required to have the sufficient amount as a regular international student. Please refer to the minimum Cost of Attendance including Non-resident UNM tuition, Room and Board, Textbooks, etc. here;
*If you apply for a Bridge Program(Part-time Intensive English Courses and Part-time UNM Academic Courses) student, please contact your home institution or UNM Exchange Program Assistant about the program fees.
*Guest students are not eligible to apply for Amigo Scholarship. If you are not sure if you are nominated as an exchange student or guest students, please contact your home institution.
*Please review the following table to determine acceptable documents for proving adequate funding or financial capability. You can combine one or more Source of Funds Required Verification if necessary.

Source of Funds Required Verification:

Personal and Family Savings

Official Bank statement or letter from a bank verifying liquid assets/cash. Your bank statement should include: 1) Name of the account holder (student or student's parents or sponsor), 2) Name of bank, 3) Type(s) of account, 4) The balance at the time bank statement is issued, and 5) Date of bank statement issuance. 

Please note that an unofficial picture/screen shot of the bank account, investment portfolios, credit card monthly reports, mortgage appraisals, and similar statements are not acceptable.

In addition, please note that if the funding is not from an account in your name, you will need a brief statement in English from the account holder stating that they will be supporting you for your exchange program. A sample letter is available here or on our online application website.


Official scholarship award letter from the institution awarding the scholarship. The letter must contain (1) Name of the applicant, (2) Amount of money available for each semester or academic year of study and, (3) Duration of the award.


Official letter indicating amount of support and containing the same information as described above for scholarship.


Official letter from a credit institution indicating approval of the loan and the amount approved

  1. Evidence of English Language Proficiency*:  If English is not your first language, you must submit official results from an English test you have taken within the past two years from your application submission date.

For exchange application, official test results must be submitted in PDF format by applicants through the UNM exchange application website (obtain the website from your home institution). Test scores CANNOT be directly sent from the test center to the University of New Mexico.

The tests we accept, and the minimum scores we require on each, are:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – Undergraduate: 68 on the Internet-Based Test (iBT) or 520 on the Paper-Based Test (PBT). Graduate: 79 on the iBT or 550 on the PBT. *Unofficial (ITP) scores are not accepted. 

    • Updates (9/16/20): TOEFL iBT MyBest Scores and TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition are now accepted after Spring 2021 application.

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – Undergraduate: 6.0, Graduate: 6.5

  • Cambridge English Qualifications (CPE or CAE) – accepted with a satisfactory score of Undergraduate: 169, Graduate: 176.

  • Pearson Test of English (PTE: Academic) - Undergraduate: 47, Graduate: 53

  • Duolingo English Test - Undergraduate: 95, Graduate: 105
  • UNM Law School (Graduate):  TOEFL100 on the iBT or 600 on the PBT.   *Unofficial (ITP) scores are not accepted.

​NOTE: You are exempt from submitting English test scores if you meet one or both of the following conditions
1) You received a high school diploma from an accredited, English-speaking institution in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand.
2) You have attended a university where English is the medium of instruction for at least one year of full-time study at the time of your application.

  1. List of Courses: Please indicate Your name, University, Semester you enroll at UNM, Course titles (i.e. "ENGL XXX: Intro to English"), Course Number of each courses, and the Number of Credits. You can submit document in PDF or MS Word document. Though the course schedule is not guaranteed and might not yet confirmed for the academic year 2019-2020 during the application period, you must access to the current year's UNM Course Schedule and find your courses at least U.S. 12 credit hours per semester.

    Courses Restricted: PHARMACY, MEDICAL SCIENCE, AND NURSING are NOT allowed to take. LAW, NUTRITION, and ARCHITECTURE are restricted 
    (See restrictions on "Course Registration" and "FAQ: Course Registration Errors" tab).

  2. Fees: Please refer to the website HERE to understand payment information before submitting your application.



Once you have been nominated and gathered all your documents, your education abroad advisor at your home institution will send you the link to our online application where you will submit all the required documentation.


Visa Requirements

Please also see the Instructions and Legal Requirements for Intentional Students here:


1. Visa Requirements

If you are currently outside the U.S., you should use the DS-2019 form to apply for a J-1 student visa at the United States Embassy or Consulate nearest your place of residence only after you are sure you will attend UNM.  If you have already applied for a visa using another school’s form, and you want to attend UNM, you will need to return to the consulate and apply for a new visa that has UNM listed as the school you will attend. Canadian citizens do not require a visa, but must present this form when entering the US from Canada and must pay the SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) fee before arriving (see below).  Non-citizen residents of Canada should check with the US Consulate to find out whether or not they need a visa.  For information on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate(s) nearest you, please see:


2. Required SEVIS Fee

All students must pay a mandatory SEVIS fee.  This is a U.S. Government fee, not a university fee, and is in addition to any visa fee. Because the payment of the fee will be recorded in the SEVIS system and it MUST be fully processed before you arrive at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for the visa interview, you must pay it at least 3 business days prior to the visa interview, and you must bring proof of payment to the interview.  Canadian citizens must present proof of payment of the fee when arriving at the port of entry to the U.S. (they do NOT need a visa). For more detailed information on the fee payment process, please go to the SEVIS website at:  You can pay the SEVIS fee in one of three ways:

a)    Online at  Use a credit card and complete the online Form I-901. Once you have submitted the payment, please print the computer-generated receipt. This receipt will be your proof of payment. Please note that SEVP is unable to accept credit card payments on behalf of students from Ghana, Gambia, Nigeria, Cameroon or Kenya.

b)    Through Western Union Quick Pay.  This option is available in any country where Western Union offers its Quick Pay service. This service allows you to pay the SEVIS fee electronically and directly to the Department of Homeland Security in local currency.  You must fill out the I-901 form on before you go to Western Union and record or print the unique coupon number to submit your payment (if someone will pay for you they will also need to enter your coupon number in the Account Number field of the Western Union form to pay). To read the detailed instructions for this form of payment, please go to

c)    Through the mail by submitting a completed Form I-901 and a check or money order drawn from a U.S. bank. The mailing address and instructions can be found at: The payment confirmation you can print from the FMJ fee website will serve as proof of payment for the I-901 SEVIS fee.

3. When to Apply for the Visa and What to Bring to the Consulate

You cannot apply for the visa more than 120 days prior to the date your U.S. program begins (check your DS-2019 for the program start date).  Documents you will need to bring with you to the U.S. Consulate and to the U.S.:

  • Passport
  • Proof of payment of the SEVIS fee
  • DS-2019 form
  • UNM acceptance letter
  • Proof of finances for your studies
  • Any evidence that you intend to return home when you complete your studies (e.g., proof of property, a job or family in your home country)

​Please contact the U.S. Consulate before you go to find out how to make an appointment, what the fees are, what additional documents you should bring to the interview, and how long it generally takes to process the visa. A list of U.S. Embassy/Consulate website can be found at Due to recent changes to visa and immigration policy, we expect visa interview and processing times to be longer than in previous years for all students, no matter what country you come from. Be smart and get your visa appointment as early as possible within the 120-day window!


4. The Visa Interview

If you will have an interview at a U.S. Consulate, GEO recommends the following:

  • Be ready to articulate in English briefly and clearly your reason for study in the US and your plan to use your education in your home country after program completion.
  • Know how your academic degree will fit into your home country job market.
  • Be prepared with the above information, but do not memorize a “speech” which sounds rehearsed.
  • Remain calm.
  • Ask the consular officer if s/he will review any documents you brought (even if s/he doesn't ask for them.)
  • In case of a denial, ask that the reason be given to you in writing before you leave the consulate.  Only in this way, can you address the U.S. Consulate’s concern if and when you return for a second interview. Reasons for a visa denial are found at:
  • You may be subject to a security check that will delay the visa application process. Therefore, we highly recommend that you apply for the visa as soon as you receive this form (but not sooner than 120 days before your program begins).
  • Once your visa is issued, you should verify that all information is correct and does not contain any typographical errors in your name, date of birth, or other biographical information. It is extremely important that your name and biographical information on the visa MATCH your passport and DS-2019.  Make sure you have the correct type of visa, J-1 (NOT F1). It is extremely difficult to correct these errors once you have left the consulate and nearly impossible once you have entered the US, so you want to get these errors corrected BEFORE you leave your home country.
  • Finally, once you are issued a visa, the consular officer may seal your DS-2019 in an envelope and attach it to your passport. You should not open this envelope!  The Customs and Border Protection Officer at the U.S. port–of-entry will open the envelope.  DO NOT PACK THE ENVELOPE IN YOUR LUGGAGE!


5. How Soon Can I Legally Arrive in the U.S.?

New students CANNOT arrive more than 30 days prior to the reporting date listed on the DS-2019 form.  Be sure that you do not arrive earlier than that date or you may be sent back to your home country.


6. What You Need to Enter the U.S.

You should bring the following with you to enter the U.S. (do not pack these documents in your luggage!):

  • Passport with entry visa
  • DS-2019 form (in many cases this will be in an envelope that the U.S. Consulate has given you)
  • Proof of finances to support your stay in the U.S.
  • Money to cover initial costs (approximately $5,000 in accessible funds via an ATM, debit, or credit card; for your protection, DO NOT bring more than $1000 in cash.)

According to U.S. law, you must enter the U.S. using the DS-2019 from the institution you plan to attend first.  If you enter the United States with a form from a university other than the University of New Mexico, you will be required to report to and possibly attend that university before you will be eligible to transfer to UNM. Upon your arrival in the U.S., the official should review the form and return it to you.

At the U.S. port of entry, an official should stamp your passport and indicate the correct immigration status (J1) on the stamp. DO NOT ENTER THE U.S. on a B visitor’s visa or WB/WT visa waiver or you will be ineligible to study!!! Once you are able, you will need to print out the record of entry (form I-94) at and bring a copy to the GEO check-in. I-94 is an important document that records your current U.S. immigration status.

Please do not forget to read the Pre-Arrival Information from HERE.


7. Special Information for Canadian Citizens and US Citizens

Citizens of Canada do not require entry visas, but must present the DS-2019 form, financial proof, and proof of payment of the SEVIS fee when entering the U.S. from Canada. Passports are required for all Canadian citizens entering the U.S. in student status.  Students who are receiving assistantships or plan to work on campus must have a valid passport.  Canadian students crossing at a land port need to be sure that their DS-2019 is reviewed by the immigration official AND need to carefully check that the stamp in the passport accurately indicates their J-1 status.

For U.S. Citizens, please contact Global Education Office at if you obtain U.S. Passport.

Course Registration

International Exchange students must be registered and complete at least U.S. 12 credit hours* each semester in order to remain full-time and maintain legal immigration status. 

*Most UNM courses are 3 credits and the credit values are indicated here; Online UNM Catalog and Schedule of ClassesPlease find the semester start and end dates here. Remember, you will need to arrive at least one week before classes begin in order to check-in, find housing, and attend orientation. 


How do I register for my courses?

Registration for Fall semester opens at the end of April, registration for Spring semester opens at the beginning of November.  Exchange students may be prevented from enrolling for some classes due to pre-requisites or the fact that they are not UNM degree students. If this happens, you first need to try to email the faculty member listed for the course or the specific department if the faculty member is not listed to get “overrides” for the courses you need.  If you cannot find the contact information on the department website, please email


STEP 1: Find your courses

The online schedule lists all the courses, days and times that classes will be taught.  You can see the “Schedule of Classes” at Click on “LoboWeb Course catalog” to find courses that will be offered.   

Make sure that none of the classes you want to take conflict with your other courses. 
Business students find available courses here:

You will need to understand the UNM course numbering system in order to choose your classes. 

Course numbers in the:

  • 100’s are introductory courses generally taken by first-year undergraduate students  

  • 200-level courses are usually for second-year students

  • 300-level for third year

  • 400-level for fourth year 

  • 500 and 600- level for Graduate Level

How to search your courses by course title:
Open online course schedule. Find the p
pulldown “Actions”>> select ”Filter”>> set Column as ”Title”, Operator as “contains”, and type any keywords in Expression to search your courses such as Spanish, finance, design, yoga, etc.


  1. Courses numbered 500 or 600 are for graduate students only (i.e., you must have completed a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent.) You are not allowed to pre-register for graduate courses if you are not admitted as a graduate student.  
  2. These are only guidelines, and students may register for any courses for which they are qualified regardless of their year in school, with the proper preparations and permissions, which may include notifying the professor or department and asking for special permission to register.
  3. Courses Restricted: PHARMACY, MEDICAL SCIENCE, and NURSING are NOT allowed to take. NUTRITION, LAW and ARCHITECTURE are restricted.


STEP 2: Create a NetID

After you obtain the official welcome letter, you will need to set up a UNM Net ID in order to register for classes, view your student information, and pay your bills with UNM.  To do so, you will need your student ID# in addition to the University-issued temporary Social Security Number (if you do not already have a permanent one from a prior visit to the US). Student ID# and temporary SSN are printed on your Welcome Letter

To set up the NetID you will:

  • Go to the link:
  • Click on “I am new, I need a new NetID”
  • Read and complete the user agreement, fill in your name,  and click “I agree”
  • Follow set-up instructions using your birthdate (the real or temporary SSN (e.g. 000XXXXXX) on your welcome letter is only needed if you have to reset your account information)
  • Make sure to pick a Net ID that you like and that is appropriate for school and work.  The system will suggest one to you.  You can change it now, but you will NOT be able to change it later!

When you have your NetID and the list of courses you want to take, go to

Here you can log in with the NetID and password you just created.

NOTE: It may take 48 hours before your UNM Net ID is activated. If it has been more than 48 hours and the NetID still does not work, you must call 505-277-5757 to speak to an IT representative.


STEP 3: Register

Please check registration dates for your courses hereNote that your date is the last listed because as you are not a degree student at UNM.  Please try to register as soon as possible when your date comes up. You can register about three months before the semester starts. Before you try to register, you should examine the course descriptions in the online UNM Catalog.

To register for classes, you must do the following:

1. Visit the registration website:

2. Click “Login”

3. Enter your Net ID and password 

4. Click on “Student Life” tab

5. Click on “LoboWeb”

6. Click on “Registration & Records”

7. Click on “Registration (Add/Drop), Course Search, Check for Holds”

8. Enter "Registration Portal" at the bottom of Registration at UNM page

9. Click on "Registration for My Classes"

10. Select the term you will be here at UNM and "Continue"

11. Read the student consent and Click on “ACCEPT Financial Responsibility”

12. Click on “Class Search”

13. Pull down or enter the "Subject" and enter "Course Number", click the "Search" courses

14. If you go to advanced search, you can search for courses by their Meeting Days, Start/End Time, Keywords, etc. *You can also enter by Course Reference Numbers (CRN) numbers if you have.

15. Click "Add” to register for the course

16. Repeat this process until you have register for the courses you need


18. You may add or drop courses at any time before or after your arrival at UNM using this system.

  • Undergraduate International Exchange students must be registered and complete at least 12 credit hours (4 classes) each semester in order to remain full-time and maintain legal immigration status. The classes you take are completely up to you, but talk to your home-advisor before you register to make sure that they accept your course credits. 

  • Graduate International Exchange students must be registered and complete at least 9 graduate credit hours (3 classes) each semester in order to remain full-time and maintain legal immigration status. If a graduate student takes less than 9 graduate hours, 12 credit hours is the minimum (mix of undergraduate and graduate credit hours).

  • Course Restrictions for Exchange Students: PHARMACY, MEDICAL SCIENCE, and NURSING are not allowed. NUTRITION, LAW, and ARCHITECTURE are restricted (email for details).

  • Most UNM courses are 3 credits and the credit values are indicated in the Online UNM Catalog and Schedule of Classes. You may register for a maximum of 18 credits, but we strongly recommend that you take no more than 15 credits your first semester.

  • Students who want to register for English 101 or 102 and get a registration error, please email your UNM international advisor with a copy of your TOFEL score and your UNM ID number. He/she can help you to register for the English classes. See Course Registration Errors and Restrictions for other errors.  

  • Students need to have done the pre-requisites at basic-level for entry to the upper-level courses (i.e. 200-400 level courses for undergraduate). If there are the particular courses that you are interested in, you can reach out to the Department Academic Advisors directly, either via email or in person, before the semester starts. Please use the links below to search your academic advisors. Academic Advisors may request you to submit a transcript from your university to confirm if you have already taken the basic level courses at home university. Please explain that you are "an exchange, non-degree student" and only has a limited timeframe to take courses at UNM.

  • FInd all UNM (including non-academic) departments:
  • Find department academic advisors by name:

Fee Payment

NOTE: You will not have a bill from UNM until you have registered for classes. You can pay Course Fees, UNM Visa Processing and Administration Fee (non-government fee), and housing/meal plans (if any) through myUNM after you arrive at UNM. The only thing you have to pay BEFORE arriving in the U.S. is your International Student Insurance.

1. Course Fees by Department (Non-Tuition)
According to the exchange student agreement between your institutions and UNM, your UNM tuition will be exempt. However, you will be responsible for course fees from each department, such as Anderson School of Management, Fine Arts, or any department with laboratory (which are anywhere from US$ 25 to US$ 400 per class). The amount of each course fee will depend on the courses you register. Not all classes have special fees. If you would like to review the exact fees, please access to the Online Course Schedule for your semester and find the "Course Fees".

To understand Mandatory Student Fees, please visit here.The deadline of course fees can be found at the "Semester Deadline" tab on Registrar's Office website.

NOTE: If you are nominated as a "Guest (Fee-Paying)" student or a "Bridge Program (Intensive English Courses + Part-time UNM Academic Courses)" student by your institution, please contact us by email in advance. You have different fees/payment procedures from the Full-time Exchange student.

2. UNM Visa Processing and Administration Fee/Exchange Student Fee

There will be a $275 visa processing and administration fee assessed per semester during your stay at UNM.

NOTE: All international students must also pay a mandatory SEVIS fee, which is a U.S. Government fee, NOT a university fee. Please find the Visa Requirement information from here.

3. International Student Insurance

See the "Health Insurance" tab and here.

4. Other Mandatory Fees

Please refer to the latest information for mandatory fees at

NOTE: After Fall 2020, "Mandatory IT Fee ($50)" is assessed to all students including exchange students. 


5. How to Pay Your Bill

You will NOT receive a bill on your myUNM until you have registered for classes. The bill can be accessed by logging in to with your Net ID (See STEP 2: Creating a UNM "Net ID"). Bills paid by credit card will incur an additional 3% fee. For international payment, you can use wire transfer without expensive transaction fees using your UNM ID number through a global payment platform "flywire" at:

Remember that the amount you pay depends on course fees for the courses you are taking and your UNM on-campus housing charges. There would be also the UNM health insurance charge if you do not receive a waiver of the UNM Student Health Insurance Plan. Please check the Semester Deadline Dates and submit your payment online or to the Bursar’s office by the correct deadline to avoid late feesTranscripts will not be issued if any financial obligations are due to the University policy.

If an outside sponsor will pay your bill, you will need to send a copy of your financial sponsorship letter so that the bill can be sent to your sponsor, even if this information has already been sent to UNM.  For more information regarding payment, please contact the Bursar’s Office at

Arriving at UNM


1. UNM Student Activities (SAC)

img1UNM student groups will sometimes provide airport pick-up and/or temporary home-stays for new students. You can contact students from your home country through one of the country/culture group representatives on the UNM Student Activities (SAC) website at to see if this service is being offered by a group from your country. Please reference to see if there is a group from your country and take note of the contact information.

2. International Students, Inc. (ISI): Non-UNM Local Community Christian Organization

A non-UNM, community Christian volunteer organization called ISI, International Students, Inc., offers free airport pick-up and a temporary home-stay with a local family not to exceed 3 days.

ISI is a Christian Organization, but there is no obligation to participate in any religious activities*. If you are interested in airport pick-up or the home-stay opportunity offered by ISI please contact them at: ISIABQ@isionline.orgISI Airport pick-up and home-stays for international students usually begin two weeks before the classes start. You must contact ISI at least two weeks in advance of your arrival for the best chance of getting a home-stay placement.

You can also choose to stay in a local hotel until you can move into the permanent housing. Be sure to ask if they have a UNM student discount.

NOTE: Please report to GEO if you feel any pressure from ISI volunteers to participate in religious activities.




You can find all the information about housing options by visiting the UNM Residence Life and Student Housing Webpage here: or contacting your hall coordinator directly (See below). Exchange students should be mindful of the length of their program before signing any housing contracts or leases. Clarify before signing that those of you who will only be here for one semester will be able to leave the contract after 6 months. You mey need to find a person who can re-let your contract for the second semester or pay the fees for breaking the contract.

You should think carefully about the kind of housing experience you want. There are advantages and disadvantages to living on campus or off campus that you should consider carefully before you decide. Please read the housing brochure for more information. Regardless of the permanent housing option you choose, you need to be prepared to pay for temporary housing when you first arrive (early move-in for on-campus residents, hotel, etc.)

To view UNM campus housing options, visit and sign up as soon as possible to have the best chance at getting your first choice after you are officially accepted.

You need to introduce yourself with 1) First and Last Name, 2) UNM Net ID (after accepted as exchange students), 3) Your student status at UNM (i.e. I am an exchange student who will be staying at UNM only in Fall/Spring 20XX.), 4) Semester enroll, and 5) Housing option you applied or are interested to apply. 
You can also contact students from your home country or department about a temporary home-stay.

On-campus housing rates and payments information: 

Moving-in date and more FAQ:



If you will not live in UNM campus housing, OR you will arrive before the designated move-in date, you will have to find temporary housing off campus by yourself such (try AirBnB or local hotels). After reviewing process of your application is completed, the GEO will send you a Welcome Letter with the housing handout list of local hotels where you can stay before campus housing opens or before you find permanent housing. Make sure to ask if the hotel has a UNM student discount.

The ISI (see above) also offers transportation and resources to international students who are trying to find off-campus housing.

Health Insurance


Exchange students MUST choose one of the 4 plans from the International Student Insurance website. 

Every exchange student must buy one of the plans from the website above – no exceptions. Please remember that this is a REQUIREMENT by the U.S.. federal regulations. Even if you have insurance from your home country or provided by your university, you MUST purchase one of these U.S.. and UNM-approved plans.

NOTE: If you have health insurance from home, insurance policy will only pay after the UNM policy pays. Please contact your own health insurance company from home (if any) to ask questions about the coverage and how to file claims.  

All four plans on the website meet the minimum requirements for J-1 Exchange Students, and you can choose the plan that is best for you. Make sure to read through the plan descriptions carefully to find out what the insurance does and does NOT cover!  Remember that all of the plans on this site have a waiting period of at least 6 months before they will cover you for pre-existing conditions (sicknesses for which you have already been treated). You should bring with you to the United States any prescription medications that you already know you will need.

Buy your insurance policy before you come to the U.S.. and make sure that it starts for the day that you will arrive in the country. For example, if your program will end in Spring 2022, you must buy insurance that ends AFTER May 15, 2022 or the date you leave the US (whichever is later).

For international exchange/guest students with J-1 visa, your permission to stay ends within 30 days of completion of the last requirement. If you are not sure if you will stay for one or two semesters, buy the policy until the semester end date (see the link below) and then extend your policy once you know you will stay. All J1 visa holders need to have insurance that meets the specific requirements, and this International Student Insurance policy above is being implemented to ensure compliance with U.S.. federal requirements.

Please also check UNM Ten Year Semester Dates to check the semester start/end dates. The semester end dates include the final exam period.

Dental and vision care are not covered by medical insurance in the U.S.., so it is recommended that you take care of any vision or dental needs before you come to UNM.  More information about insurance and health care will be provided during orientation.  You can also visit the UNM Student Health and Counseling Center website for current information about health care services for students.

NOTE: During the mandatory check-in session upon your arrival, you must present a proof of ISI insurance coverage for a semester or longer. If not, UNM will place a hold on your UNM account, and you will be unable to register for classes, modify your class schedule, or have credit transfer back to your home institution until you show appropriate proof of coverage !!!!