Travel Requirements

Travel In The U.S

While travelling in the U.S. (out of Albuquerque), you need to carry the following documents:

  1. Passport

  2. I-94

  3. DS-2019

In ABQ, copies should be good enough; I-94 is the actual legal requirement

Travel Outside The U.S

Scholars and their dependents MUST present the following documents to reenter after any departure outside the U.S.:

  1. DS-2019, endorsed for travel by an international advisor at UNM within the last six months.

  2. A valid passport (must be valid for at least 6 months into the future).

  3. A valid J visa stamp. If you are traveling to Canada or Mexico for less than 30 days and not applying for a visa while there, you may be able to travel with an expired visa (ask an advisor for details).

REMEMBER: You have to request GEO to endorse your DS-2019 for travel; our signature confirms that you are maintaining legal status. It is the individual’s responsibility to confirm the visa and passport are valid for re-entry to the U.S. If you have questions about this handout, be sure to consult with an international advisor to ensure understanding of the rules before you travel outside the U.S.

  • Specific documents and signatures are needed in order to return to the U.S. even if you will only leave the U.S. for a brief period of time.

  • If you plan to travel out of the U.S. for an extended period of time (more than 5 months), you must come in to speak with an GEO advisor about requirements and options.

  • If you plan to travel out of the U.S. for a short visit and return to your UNM appointment, please make sure you are aware of all the documents you need for re-entry to the U.S. and whether or not you need a valid visa to return. 

For FAQ, Please visit U.S. Immigration Website for Travel