State Taxes

If you have income, the Sprintax software provided to UNM international students and scholars will inform you if you need to complete a state tax return. If so, you will have the option to use Sprintax for an additonal fee. However, it is your choice to pay the additional fee or to do the state tax return on your own.

The non-resident tax volunteers send detailed instructions for NM state taxes during tax season.  Please read these carefully before seeking help.  In New Mexico, you must complete your federal tax return before you complete your state tax returns and you will use some numbers from your federal tax forms on your state tax forms.  If you worked in a state other than New Mexico during the tax year, you may need to file state tax returns for that state as well.


Read the instructions for filing/mailing your tax returns

State Tax returns are sent to a different address than the Federal Tax returns.  If you have a NM Driver’s license or state ID and you have already filed a New Mexico Tax return for a prior year, you may be able to choose to electronically file your state tax return


DISCLAIMER: International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) and the school are NOT permitted to assist any student/scholar with any IRS tax form preparation or tax related questions outside of the VITA context. The information provided is intended for your benefit.